Right of residence
Students from EU
Citizens of the member states of the European Union and the European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation (“EU citizens”) have the right to stay in Estonia on the basis of a valid travel document or identity card for the period of up to 3 months.
In order to obtain the right of temporary residence an EU citizen must contact the local government authority nearest to his/her place of residence and register his/her residence within 3 months from the date of entering Estonia.
An EU citizen must apply for an identity card (ID card), which certifies the right of temporary residence, within one month from the acquisition of the right of temporary residence at the Citizenship and Migration Bureau (CMB).
Upon the application for an identity card the following documents must be submitted to the CMB:
- a standard application form (you do not have to complete the application form before you come to the customer service centre of the CMB);
- an identity document of the applicant;
- a coloured photograph sized 40x50 mm (photo boxes available that can be used for free);
- a document certifying the payment of the state fee (24,28 EUR).
You will receive the ID card within 30 days.
Students outside EU
Please note that the application procedure for residence permit for students outside EU may take up to 2 months. Be sure to submit your application on time! As a general rule an applicant should submit the application for a residence permit at a foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia.
In case you are staying in Estonia up to six months Estonian authorities ask you apply for D-Visa. You find more information here.
Conditions and application procedure for the temporary residence permit for study in Estonia
Upon the application for a temporary residence permit for study in an educational institution located in Estonia the following documents must be submitted:
- a standard application form;
- an application form "Application for issue or extension of temporary residence permit";
- the additional form “Data concerning close relatives, spouse, family members and dependants” ;
- the additional form “Confirmation of educational institution or students organisation that the student will start studies in certain educational institution” (confirmation is valid for up to two months from the date of its issue); Will be issued by Exchange Coordinator of Tallinn University of Technology.
- a standard curriculum vitae (except if the applicant is under 15 year of age);
- a document which certifies the legal income of the applicant or his/her family members, who ensure his/her regularity and sources of the income;
- the identity document of an applicant;
- a coloured photograph sized 40x50 mm;
- an insurance contract (see below)
- a document certifying the payment of the state fee (63,91 EUR);
- an applicant in the status of long-term resident of another EU Member State is required to prove such status upon applying for the residence permit.