e-Governance Technologies and Services
Degree awarded: Master of Science in Engineering (MSc)
Workload: 120 ECTS
Language of instruction: English
Duration: 2 years
Number of places available: 15
Pre-Requisites: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Information Technology, Public Management, Law or in other related study field. It is an advantage to have work experience in the public or private sector related to e-governance
Tuition fee: No tuition fee if the student is studying with full study load. If student fails to study with full study load then the price of 1 ECTS is 48 EUR*
*The tuition fees are based on 2016-2017 ECTS prices
Estonia’s e-government and the country’s other innovative e-solutions have grown into one of Europe’s success stories of the last decade. Tallinn Tech has taken a leap into the future of e-Governance education. Largely focusing on IT solutions at government level, its interoperability between different faculties in the University is giving fundamental background also in other aspects (law, public management and economics) of government. The program is especially important due to the reason that it is unique in Estonia and in Europe and the demand for the specialist with broad knowledge on e-governance is increasing tremendously.
The Master’s programme in e-Governance Technologies and Services is giving students broad knowledge about the makings of a modern state – the transition into e-governance, its management and development. Studies include a wider overview of administrative and legal aspects of e-governance.
- Focuses on designing, developing and improving governmental systems and implementing e-government components at every level of the state
- Specialisation in IT technologies, innovation/services in the public and private sector or adoption and marketing of e-government
- User-oriented services offered by government that are based on information and communication technologies
- Offers experience in the industry, practical research and project work already during studies, for example at the “e-state technologies laboratory”
Graduates of the programme can work as public sector officials, e-government technologists, architects, developers or analysts, and researchers who are capable of taking an interdisciplinary input based on teamwork to create and develop innovative, user-friendly and economically efficient e-governance solutions.
Graduates are welcome to prolong their studies at the doctoral level. There are several options to choose from: IT, Economics, Public Administration or other related fields.
Executive Director of the e-Governance Academy
“e-Governance is not only technology but also innovation, policy, legal and fiscal frameworks, management and economy. The curriculum of the programme brings together science, practices and knowledge in these fields and trains very internationally needed specialists of the e-Governance.”
The e-Governance Academy
- is a non-governmental organization, which shares Estonia's expertise and experience on state level and has trained and consulted governmental officials in more than 40 countries around the world, including countries like China, India, Japan, Canada, Cuba, Georgia, United Kingdom and many more.
STRUCTURE OF THE CURRICULUM
Basic studies 24 ECTS
Core studies 24 ECTS
Special studies 30 ECTS
Free choice courses 6 ECTS
Practice 6 ECTS
Thesis 30 ECTS
TOTAL: 120 ECTS
State and Governance
e-Governance: Policies, Strategies and Frameworks
Information Society Concepts and Principles
Virtual Environments Usability
Development Policies and Globalisation
Technology and Society
Business Information Systems
Legal Framework of e-Governance
Business Process Modelling and Automation
Planning and Implementing e-governance
Public Management and Administration
Enterprise Business Architecture Development
Entrepreneurship and Business Planning
Specialisation: e-Governance services
Methodology for e-governance Implementation and Marketing
Service-Orientation in the Public Sector
Technical Change and Techno-economic Paradigms
Policy Skills: Strategic Management, Policy Analysis and Lesson-Drawing
Concepts of e-Democracy
Introduction to Development in Cloud
Security and Privacy in a Networked World
Specialisation: e-Governance technologies
Design and Development of Data Exchange Layer for Government Information Systems
Information Management and Digital Archiving
Teamwork - project
Technology and the individual: ethics of law and technology
Legal Aspects of Software and Database Protection
Internet of Things Solutions: Smart Devices, Processes and Services
Foundations of Cyber Security
Agent-Oriented Modelling and Multi-agent Systems
FREE CHOICE COURSES
Please pay attention as this programme you are applying for, has specific prerequisites:
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Information Technology, Public Management, Law or a related field.
- Skype interview (applicants may be requested for Skype interview if more information is needed).
Motivation letter/statement of purpose
For each programme you apply to, an individual motivation letter (statement of purpose) must be inserted.
Please include following:
- clearly defined perspectives and motivation for developing the information society and e-government era (max. points given 2);
- logical, analytical and comprehensive description of e-governance based on the country candidate chooses to take as an example (max. points given 2);
- previous experiences in the field, practical work experience in public sector or with the technical solutions used in public sector (max. points given 2);
- propousals for future master´s thesis topic in the field of e-governance/e-government technologies and/or services (max. points given 2);
- grammatically fluent and correct english (max. points given 2).
Grading Criteria for the Motivation Letter
- clearly defined perspectives and motivation for developing the information society and e-government era. (max. points given 2);
- logical, analytical and comprehensive description of e-governance based on the country he/she chooses to take as an example. (max. points given 2);
- previous experiences in the field, practical work experience in public sector or with the technical solutions used in public sector. (max. points given 2);
- ideas for future research aims in the field of e-governance/e-government technologies and/or services. We highly appreciate if you could point out the focus of your future Master´s Thesis. (max. points given 2);
- grammatically fluent and correct (English). (max. points given 2).
Candidate of E-Governance Technologies and Services curricula can collect up to 10 points for the Motivation Letter. The candidate must collet at least 5 points to be in the competition. Should the student fail to present the Motivation Letter he/she will be given 0 points and will be excluded from the competition.
PS! It is important to properly cite any sources (quotations, publications, ideas which are not your own etc.) used in your motivation letter, because to do otherwise would be plagiarism and result in disqualification.
The aim of interview is to understand your academic potential, motivation and suitability for your chosen course. Questions are composed to assess your:
- problem-solving abilities;
- intellectual flexibility and analytical skills;
- assimilation of new ideas and information.
The length of an interview vary between 10-12 minutes and will be conducted by the specialists in the programme you have applied for.
For general admission requirements please visit the Admissions section.