Environmental Engineering and Management
Degree awarded: Master of Science in Engineering (MSc)
Workload: 120 ECTS
Language of instruction: English
Duration: 2 years
Number of places available: 10
Pre-Requisites: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in engineering (industrial, chemical, electrical, mechanical, materials, civil, etc).
Tuition fee: No tuition fee if the student is studying with full study load. If student fails to study with full study load then the price of 1 ECTS is 43 EUR*
*The tuition fees are based on 2016-2017 ECTS prices
Industrial production has an enormous impact on the environment, and society’s awareness of such effects is constantly growing. The course offers an integrated approach towards current and long term strategic environmental issues, focusing on technologies and concepts in environmental planning and management for the sustainable development of industrial production systems. This programme provides interdisciplinary solutions in a market-based economy through the integrated management of water, wastewater, solid wastes, and air pollutants.
- “Greener” technological solutions for the environment
- Students have the possibility to take part in various environmental research projects
- Professors of the programme Mr. Enn Loigu and Mr. Rein Munter received a significant award from the President of Estonia in 2012 for their lifetime research work in this field in Estonia and internationally
Career opportunities exist in managerial and policy positions in companies, consulting firms and government as an environmental manager, engineer, auditor or policy analyst. The graduates work in industrial and trade enterprises, municipalities, environmental agencies as environmental engineers. Students also have an option to continue their PhD studies.
Industrial production has an enormous impact on evironment and societies awareness of such effects is constantly growing. New knowledge in this field is needed more than ever now. Master of Environmental Management and Cleaner Production programme offers an integrated approach toward current and long-term environmental issues, focusing on technologies and concepts in environmental planning and management.
This programme is suitable for graduates with qualifications in different engineering fields, such as chemical engineering, civil engineering, environmental engineering, material technology, mechanical engineering and others. The curriculum offers an integrated approach toward current and long-term environmental issues, focusing on technologies and concepts in environmental planning and management for the sustainable development of industrial production.
The goal of the programme is to educate managers who not only understand all aspects of the environmental industry, but who are also skilled in critical thinking and problem solving, and are able to plan, implement and control all facets of environmental management.
STRUCTURE OF THE CURRICULUM
General studies 13 ECTS
Basic studies 12 ECTS
Core studies 26 ECTS
Special studies 34 ECTS
Free choice courses 5 ECTS
Thesis 30 ECTS
TOTAL: 120 ECTS
Environmental Assessment and System Analysis
Fundamentals of Business Administration
Environmental Impact Assessment and Audit
Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
Air Pollution Prevention and Control
Theory and Equipment of Sludge and Wastes Treatment
Water Bodies Water Quality and Water Conservation
Sustainable Water Management
State and Governance
Public Management and Administration
FREE CHOICE COURSES
Please pay attention as this programme you are applying for, has specific prerequisites:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in engineering: industrial, chemical, electrical, mechanical, materials, civil, etc.
Motivation letter/statement of purpose
For each programme you apply to, an individual motivation letter (statement of purpose) must be inserted.
Please include following:
- What and where have you studied, how does your academic background fit to the degree programme you are applying for? (0-2 points).
- Why do you think you are the right person for this programme? Previous experience, interest in the special field. What are your strengths and weaknesses? (0-2 points).
- Describe your professional goals. How does the degree programme you are applying for will support your professional profile? (0-2 points).
- Why do you apply for the chosen programme? Which of the courses offered in this programme are particularly beneficial in pursuing your professional goals? (0-2 p0ints).
- Why do you want to study at the Tallinn Technical University? How do you see your future after graduation? (0-2 points).
Grading scale: 0-10 points.
Positive scale: 5-10 points.
The candidate must collect at least 5 points to be in the competition.
PS! It is important to properly cite any sources (quotations, publications, ideas which are not your own etc.) used in your motivation letter, because to do otherwise would be plagiarism and result in disqualification.
For general admission requirements please visit the Admissions section.
No tuition fee if student is studying with full study load.
Students have possibility to take part of research projects.
Some of the topics for thesis have been:
- „Evaluation on Estonia's success in implementing the EU Directives for landfilling“ Gero Schumacher
- „ Influence of Same Additives on the Thermal Behavior of Ammonium Nitrate“ Evelin Edro
- „Biogas Potential of Crude Clycerol and its Suitability for Co-Digestion“ Andra Paltser
"Choosing TUT for study destination was on of the best decisions in my life. The programme provided me with the academic knowledge and skills I needs for my future career".
Two professors were awarded this year (2012) by the President of Estonia for their work in this field:
- professor Enn Loigu
- professor Rein Munter
- Lennart Nilson, Sweden 2003-2008
- Walter Tang, USA 2010
"I feel happy I chose to study at Tallinn Tech and move to Estonia. The programme not only gives theoretical principles of sustainable development, but also provides advanced study of practical. With those engineering and economic management capabilities I can easily deal with some significant environmental issues in real life."
Susu Wu, China
Alumna of the Environmental Management and Cleaner Production programme