Environmental Engineering and Management
Industrial production has an enormous impact on the environment, and society’s awareness of such effects is constantly growing. The course offers an integrated approach towards current and long term strategic environmental issues, focusing on technologies and concepts in environmental planning and management for the sustainable development of industrial production systems. This programme provides interdisciplinary solutions in a market-based economy through the integrated management of water, wastewater, solid wastes, and air pollutants.
LEVEL OF STUDYMaster's
FACULTYSchool of Engineering
STUDY LOAD120 ECTS (view curriculum)
MODE OF STUDYFull-time study
The programme aims to provide students with needed skills to enable interdisciplinary approach when applying environmental technologies and using environmental management tools, based on the principles of sustainable development and environmental sustainability. The curriculum aims also to deepen knowledge and understanding of the major trends in environmental technologies, environmental protection and sustainable production, linking environmental problems with engineering and economic aspects.
The 2 year (120 ECTS) curriculum comprises the following modules:
- General Studies (24 ECTS)
- Core studies: Environmental Management (24 ECTS)
- Special studies: Environmental Engineering (36 ECTS)
- Free choice courses (6 ECTS)
- Graduation Thesis (30 ECTS)
Dr. Karin Pachel is working as a professor of water engineering at TalTech, Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture. She is the Head of Water and Environmental Engineering Research Group and Head of Study Program of Master’s curricula Environmental Engineering and Management. Karin Pachel has participated as a principle investigator/project manager in several national and EU founded projects. Her research area is wastewater treatment and urban wastewater systems, including stormwater runoff management, monitoring and monitoring technics. She has more than 20 scientific publications on her interest area. Dr Pachel is a member of the Estonian Centre for Standardisation Technical Committee EVS/TK48 Water and Wastewater Engineering, member of the Estonian Association of Water Supply and Wastewater Engineers Council and Water Sampling Personnel Evaluation Commission.
Dr. Arvo Iital is a professor of environmental system analysis at TalTech, Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture. He has an experience of more than 20 years in monitoring of surface water quality, environmental assessment and environmental policy. He has more than 50 scientific publications and have been involved in numerous international and national R&D projects. Dr Iital has be a supervisor for more than 20 master and PhD theses. He is an expert at the European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) and a member of several environmental and water associations. He is also an editorial board member and external reviewer of several research journals.
Rd. Viktoria Voronova is working as a senior lecturer of environmental management and engineering at Taltech, Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture. She is a member of Water and Environmental Engineering Research Group. Her research area is environmental management, waste management and treatment techniques, life cycle assessment, air pollution and prevention. She has more than 20 defended master theses and supervising PhD students. Dr. Voronova actively participates in international and national R &D projects and has scientific publications on her interest area. She has provided quality assurance check for Estonian national GHG inventory report in waste sector.
Why this specialty?
- Students have the possibility to take part in research projects.
- Selected examples of defended theses and their authors:
- “Nitrogen and Phosphorus Budgeting – A comparative Account of Different Methodologies and Scales” Susmita Banerjee
- “Analysis of Environmental Radiation Monitoring Results of Paldiski Former Nuclear Site and Tammiku Radioactive Waste Storage Facility” Liisa Mihkla
- "Preliminary feasibility study of MSWI fly ash utilization" Hakan Berber
- "Evaluation on Estonia's success in implementing the EU Directives for landfilling" Gero Schumacher
- "Influence of Same Additives on the Thermal Behavior of Ammonium Nitrate" Evelin Edro
- "Biogas Potential of Crude Glycerol and its Suitability for Co-Digestion" Andra Paltser
- The curriculum offers knowledge and skills in various fields of environmental technology (air protection, water management, waste handling) that enable graduates of Masters to:
- advise, guide the company in introducing environmentally friendly and sustainable engineering solutions, increasing material, water- and energy efficiency and reducing emissions;
- successfully work as an enterprise environmental councillor, environmental specialist in local municipalities, water service companies, consultancy firms, public institutions (ministries, environmental boards, inspectorates, research and scientific institutions as well as applying for doctoral studies.
"Studying in TalTech has played a significant role in advancing my career. TalTech gave me both theoretical knowledge and some hands on experience which I believe is very important. It was a perfect setup for my needs and future plans where not only you obtain environmental engineering and management skills but also a much broader approach where you can get the basics of business, philosophy, project management etc. In my day to day work all the subjects I took play a significant role whether it is helping to solve technical questions or contributing into new business developments."
Andre Zahharov, Alexela Group OÜ, Environmental Manager
"I believe for bringing a positive change one needs knowledge and right tool to understand the issue/problem and the solution. I always feel there is a bigger requirement for a competent workforce who can bring innovation and improvements towards environment, sustainability and green technology and I think Estonia is making one through TalTech. I am glad I choose TalTech to enrich me and prepared myself for better future which is greener and more sustainable. I like the study structure, course design, teaching methods and various real life case discussions, which gave me hands-on experience to deal with environmental problems. A bigger role has been played by faculty members, who contributed actively to understand the root cause of the existing environmental problems. I think moving to Estonia and joining this course at TalTech, is one of the best decisions of my life."
Susmita Banerjee, Lallemand Inc. Lallemand Bio-Ingredients, Quality Assurance Manager and Environmental Specialist
READ MORE about Hany´s story on TalTech blog ⇒
Bachelor's degree or equivalent
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in technical, chemical, mechanical, electrical, mining, materials, industrial or civil engineering field.
In order to qualify for the studies in Tallinn University of Technology an applicant has to have at least 60% of the highest possible CGPA.
- Please include the following:
- What and where have you studied, how does your academic background fit to the degree programme you are applying for?
- Why do you think you are the right person for this programme? Previous experience, interest in the special field. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Describe your professional goals. How will the degree programme you are applying for support your professional profile?
- Why do you apply for the chosen programme? Which of the courses offered in this programme are particularly beneficial in pursuing your professional goals?
- Why do you want to study at the TalTech? How do you see your future after graduation?
NB! It is important to properly cite and reference any sources used in your motivation letter (quotations, publications, ideas etc. that are not your own). Neglecting the rules of referencing and citation is considered plagiarism and will result in the disqualification of your application.
Topics covered during the interview:
- Describe the key issues, problems in the field and your role in solving them.
- What were the main criteria for selecting a specialty?
- What you can give to our study programme?
- What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses in acquiring a specialty, e.g. learning ability, language, teamwork, etc.?
- What is your opinion about the need for environmental engineering and management specialist in your home country, anywhere else in the world?
Duration of the interview is 10-15 minutes.
Students for TalTech international study programmes are admitted based on the admission threshold. The maximum score for the motivation letter and online interview is 10 points. An applicant who receives the minimum of 5 points is admitted.
TalTech international admissions office
TalTech international admissions office provides general advice to prospective Bachelor’s and Master’s degree applicants and their advisers about applying to and studying at TalTech University.
Student counsellor at School of Engineering
Student counsellor at School of Engineering can help you
with questions about the study programme.
Ms. Katrin Soone
(+372) 620 3521
Contact a Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador can help you with questions about living in Estonia, travelling to Estonia, work and housing options or free time activities for students.