APEL – Accreditation of Prior and Experiential Learning
If you wish to transfer courses completed
- during previous studies
- in another university as a visiting student, etc.
APEL is based on the ’’Procedure and Terms and Conditions for Accreditation of Prior and Experiential Learning“, established by TTÜ Council Regulation No. 4 of March 21, 2017, available here: https://www.ttu.ee/students/study-information-2/apel/regulation-of-apel/
In order to transfer course(s), you should submit a respective type of APEL application through the Study information system ÕIS and bring original documents, which certify the completion of the course(s), to the APEL adviser in our Dean’s Office. When all the documents are together, the APEL assessor (head of your study programme) will review the documents.
If the APEL assessor’s decision is positive, the original result is entered in your records. Note:
- if the grading system of the other university differs from our grading system, pass/fail assessment is used, meaning that the positive result is entered as “passed”
- courses completed in countries other than Estonia are always entered as “passed”.
Courses completed previously in TTÜ
- Transfer of courses completed in TTÜ after September 1, 1995 is free, except for students of a self-paid study programme who are without tuition fee waiver scholarship, and students of part-time studies.
Courses completed in another university:
Reviewing of the APEL application and transfer of courses is for free, if
- the student has submitted the application “Transfer to visiting student place” through ÕIS before going to the other university (also applies to exchange students under the Erasmus programme)
- the student has agreed in advance in writing with the School about completion of courses in another university.
Continuing education incl. summer schools
Continuing education courses can only be transferred, if the applicant finds from the TTÜ course register a course, which is similar to the continuing education course by its content and ECTS credits (basis: ’’Procedure and Terms and Conditions for Accreditation of Prior and Experiential Learning” § 5 (2)). If there is no such course in TTÜ course register, the continuing education course cannot be transferred. APEL assessor will verify, if the applied course corresponds to the TTÜ course.
Transfer of continuing education courses is for a charge, for everyone
Fees listed in English: https://www.ttu.ee/students/study-information-2/apel/apel-fees/
Basis, no translation available yet: “Varasemate õpingute ja töökogemuse arvestamise tasumäärade kinnitamine”
Note! Bachelor and Master level students should remember that courses completed before you were admitted to your current study level will not be included in your study load!