Every student must have a supervisor when writing the thesis. The supervisor's role is to provide guidance on topic selection and research methods, as well as to give feedback on your work. It is not the supervisor's duty to correct spelling mistakes or formatting errors - they may point such things out, but the responsibility remains with you. Before a thesis will be accepted for defence, the supervisor has to agree that it is of sufficient quality.
Almost any professor and lecturer you have met in your curriculum can act as an supervisor of your thesis. Some of them have some open problems suitable for doing research and writing a thesis, but many may not have a topic to offer right away. It is usually more helpful to have an initial idea of a topic of your thesis and ask someone with interests in the related field to advise you. You can have a supervisor not related to the university, but he can act only as a co-supervisor and you need to agree to somebody related to the curricula to be an official co-supervisor. All (co-)supervisor must have at least a Master's degree.
When refining a topic idea, make sure it has a clear connection with cyber security.
Potential supervisors and proposed topics
From Hayretdin Bahsi, Tallinn University of Technology
Interested in various topics, which can be categorized as technical, organizational and strategic. If you already have specific topics in your mind, it is possible to discuss them and decide whether to work together.
- Application of machine learning and data mining methods to the following cyber security problems: Malware detection, botnet identification, intrusion detection in SCADA or IoT systems and extraction of cyber threat intelligence
- Cyber security of Industrial Control or IoT systems: Development of a security testbed, honeypots, intrusion detection systems, digital forensics issues
- Situational Awareness and Cyber Threat Intelligence: Impact of cyber threats on business processes, sophistication analysis of cyber attacks, cyber threat information sharing protocols, privacy preserved sharing of cyber threat intelligence
- Cyber insurance
- Security operation center (SOC) models
- Case studies for the improvement of SOC processes such as threat monitoring, incident handling, or vulnerability management
- High-level information flows and reporting mechanisms among the major entities of national cyber security governance structures
- Maturity models for the analysis of national cyber security capability
From Bernhards Blumbergs, Tallinn University of Technology
- network security
- exploit development,
- advanced threats
- security evasion,
From Aivo Kalu, Cybernetica AS
- EST: Pilveteenuste ohuanalüüs ja võrdlus ISKE-ga
From Jüri Kivimaa, Tallinn University of Technology
- IT security economics
- security cost optimization
From Aleksandr Lenin, Cybernetica AS.
To be determined
From Toomas Lepik, Tallinn University of Technology
From Birgy Lorenz, Tallinn University of Technology
- human factors in cybersecurity
- cyber awareness and training (kindergarten, schools, laypersons)
- cybersecurity young talents' skills and its development and testing
- women in cybersecurity
From Mika Kerttunen, Tallinn University of Technology
- Mathematical modeling of critical infrastructure protection: priorities and decision-making
- From table-top to lap-top: The objectives, methods, and conduct of operational level cyber security exercises
- International attribution council
- Public-private partnerships
- Military cyber defence
From Olaf Maennel, Tallinn University of Technology
No slots available anymore. Accepting next students only who are working towards January 2020 (or later) defences.
From Rain Ottis, Tallinn University of Technology
- national cyber security
- serious games in cyber security/cyber security exercises
From Arnis Paršovs, University of Tartu
- Smart cards
From Mauno Pihelgas, Tallinn University of Technology
- system monitoring
- network monitoring
- IDS/IPS systems
- insider threat detection
From Jaan Priisalu, Tallinn University of Technology
To be determined
From Tiia Sõmer, Tallinn University of Technology
Currently no topics on offer
From Kaie Maennel, Tallinn University of Technology
- cyber awareness and hygiene
- cyber security learning and teaching (e.g., serious games, cyber defense exercises, etc.)
- learning analytics in cyber security training context
- human factors in cyber security
From Eneken Tikk, Tallinn University of Technology
- Technical and organizational implementation of the GDPR
- Monetization of personal data
- Economics of cybersecurity (the cost of implementation relative to the anticipated and evidenced gains)
- Cyber insurance
- Non-military strategies for national and international cybersecurity
- Legal aspects of cybersecurity
From Risto Vaarandi, Tallinn University of Technology
- log collection and analysis
- event correlation
- network monitoring
- security monitoring
Application for supervision requires passing the Cyber Defense Monitoring Solutions course with grade 4 or 5.
From the TalTech IT office
- Migrating TalTech Campus LAN to IPv6; Edgars Zigurs
- Implementing a freeware SIEM solution in TUT; Edgars Zigurs
- Campus WiFi quality and signal strength modeling (3D); Edgars Zigurs
- electronic door signs, room calendars, etc.; Thomas Lepik
- VoIP solutions - softphone, integration with existing information systems; Thomas Lepik
- integrating last generation BMS (Building Management System); Thomas Lepik
- the student view of OIS (usability, security, re-design); Enn Rebane
From the Estonian Police (EST)
- Vaatlustarkvarade EnCase ja Autopsy võrdlus (selgituseks, et Autopsy on EnCase analoog, kuid tasuta. Vajalik oleks täpne analüüs, et mida Autopsy võimaldab ja mida mitte võrreldes EnCase ja/või FTKga).
- Erinevate suhtlustarkvarade (WhatsApp, Viber, FB Messenger, Skype jt) jäljed mobiiltelefonides ja nende analüüsimine (selgituseks, et üldjuhul loovad suhtlustarkvarad mingi andmebaasi vestlustega ka telefoni, kas see on krüpteeritud või mitte? Osad vestlused XRY tuvastab, aga millistel juhtudel? Millised võimalused oleks neid faile nö käsitsi uurida?).
- Tõendiahela kirjeldamine elektrooniliste tõendite fikseerimisel (chain of custody)/Elektroonilise sisu erikohtlemine asitõendi vaatlusel/Digitaaltõendite vaatluse kord – erinevate riikid analüüs ja võrdlus.
- P2P võrkudes lastest ebasündsate piltide levitajate tuvastamine/P2P võrkudes illegaalse internetisisu levitajate tuvastamine.
- Koolituskava väljatöötamine uurijale/menetlejale, kes puutub kokku digitaalsete tõenditega- erinevate riikide praktika võrdlus.
Ask Rain Ottis for a POC on these topics.