eMed Lab of Department of Health Technologies of Tallinn University of Technology (TalTech) contains researchers with leading e-health and e-government expertise, where some world leading internet solution are being created and implemented in practice. eMed Lab personnel played the lead and essential role in creating Estonian nation-wide Health Information Exchange (HIE) platform which opened up new dimensions in the research of shared databases and modern shared workflows in health care environments.
The research fields are:
- Big data – Investigation of trends in medicine, public health and social care based on the wide spread access to comprehensive, nation-wide databases
- Clients' on-line access to medical data – patients’ behaviour, preferences and use of services with secure and reliable on-line access to his/her medical data including medical images
- Monitoring of the effectiveness and the potential adverse effects of new e-services or digital technologies in health care. eMed Lab builds a competence bridge between digital health care technologies and the clinical manifestation of diseases using the most recent advancements of e-health technologies and public health expertise.
eMed Lab operates as a science-, study- and development establishment in the e-health, clinical medicine, public health and medical data analytics sphere. TalTech has had involvement in several European telemedicine projects (eMedic, PrimCareIT, Chromed, MasterMind) and therefore has comprehensive knowledge and experience in e-health development and e-health related applications. Based on the e-health expertise eMed Lab can give considerable contribution to the project implementation.
eMed Lab of Department of Health Technologies of TalTech is one of the responsible parties for Health Care Technology international Master´s program (2 years). It is is an interdisciplinary curriculum taught in English. The overall goal of the program is to provide a health care technology related education to the potential academics, researchers, e-health leaders, project managers and technicians, and entrepreneurs.
- Know-how and competence in connecting IT with medicine in research, international cooperation and entrepreneurship.
- Superb environment for new innovations and entrepreneurship in health technologies: digital society (digital ecosystem) and e-services
- High level infrastructure and practices, thoroughly tested solutions – X-road, ID-card
- The best IT+Med education – a guarantee of future experts, a collaborative curriculum for developing change managers of digital health.
Why learn, research and develop on the field of health technologies in Estonia?
- E-governance and implementing e-solutions is a national priority.
- Estonia is a digital society. Every Estonian resident has a digital identity, which has two functions: authentication and digital signature.
- X-road – the backbone of e-Estonia. The invisible yet crucial environment that allows the nation’s various e-services and databases, both in the public and private sector, to link up and operate in harmony. All of the Estonian e-solutions that use multiple databases use X-Road.
- More than 10 years´ experience of e-health planning, design and implementation.
- Estonian e-health system – integrates defined healthcare data of all healthcare providers and provides overview of health condition of every resident literally from birth to death. The system incorporates Electronic Health Records, Digital Registration, Digital Image, and Digital Prescriptions.
- Estonian e-health system – makes it possible to access medical data, prescriptions and images on-line in a secure and trusted way. Data is equally accessible for healthcare providers and citizen.
- Estonia is currently in a position to be one of the first countries in the world to start the implementation of personalised medicine on a national scale.
- Top level security – no data leakages or serious privacy violations during e-health system exploitation.