Rules for thesis defences
Thesis Seminar I
Thesis project has to be submitted in pdf-format, with document title: surname.firstname.bac/mast.
Do not use umlauts.
If you cannot submit your thesis project due to a technical problem in Moodle, you have to send it by e-mail before the dealine to: kaja dot kattel at ttu dot ee or archil dot chochia at ttu dot ee, with an explanation – why and at what time you could not upload the document. In the same e-mail you have to forward also the screenshot of Moodle page, showing an error.
The prerquisites to the Thesis Project:
- Topic of the thesis is appropriate and actual in the field of law;
- The title of the thesis corresponds to the aim, hypothesis(es) / research question(s) of the thesis;
- The research methods of the thesis are suitable;
- The structure corresponds to the aim, hypothesis(es) / research question(s) of the thesis, structure is rational and proper;
- The used sources are research based, bachelor thesis has at least 20 and master thesis has at least 30 sources from peer-reviewed journals or aticles/chapters in books publishedby the internationally recognized publishers;
- Used sources enable to achieve the aim of the thesis;
- The thesis project is signed by supervisor(s). First supervisor has to be from TUT.
The Thesis project is not allowed to the seminar if it is not in accordance with the project requirements.
Passing the Thesis Seminar I
Thesis seminar I will take place at the end of October/ at the beginning of November, 2017 (date will specified after the submission of thesis project).
At the thesis seminar student has to present his/her thesis project (5-10 min).
The committee gives an oral feedback to the student at the seminar. The committee may allow a student to resubmit the thesis project in 3-5 days with requested amendments and supplements.
Completed project has to be signed by supervisor(s) and submitted through Moodle.
Thesis seminar I is not completed if a student has not submitted the project by assigned deadline.
The results of the seminar (pass/fail) will be published in Moodle (not later than 10 working days after the thesis seminar I).
Thesis Seminar II
November 27, 2017 - submission of thesis verions for those who are planning to graduate in January 2018. Submission of the thesis versions for seminar II, through Moodle.
(only for those students who have already passed the seminar I in previous academic year (the result is valid) / students who have failed thesis seminar II / whose submitted thesis was not allowed to the defence)
March 2018 (date will be specified) - submission of thesis versions for those who are planning to graduate in June 2018. Submission of the thesis versions for seminar II, through Moodle.
Requirements for submitted theses:
- At least 75% of the thesis work has to be completed, 25-35 pages for BA theses and 35-45 for MA ones
- Topic of the thesis has to show the connection with a legal question
- Structure of the thesis has to be rational and meet requirements for the research work
- Hypothesis and/or research question(s) have to be clear and in clear connection with the thesis topic and the content of the work
- Research methods have to meet the requirements of scientific research, including the methods of data processing
- Sources must be academic and relevant, in case of bachelor thesis at least 20 sources from peer-reviewed journals or internationnaly recognised publisher, in case of master thesis - at least 30
- Sources have to be in logical connection with author's arguments
- Analysis, discussion, reflection of the results, conclusions, etc. have to be based on the hypothesis and/or research question and habe to be logical and relevant
- Formatting and citing have to be according to the rules provided by Tallinn Law School, guidlines for the theses
- Thesis work has to be written in a correct grammar and legal language
The thesis version is not accepted to the thesis seminar II if it does not comply with the requirements.
The list of the students who are allowed to the thesis seminar II will be published in Moodle.
Passing the Thesis Seminar II
December 4 - 15, 2017 (dates will be specified) - Thesis Seminar II
(only for those students who have already passed the seminar I in previous academic year (the result is valid) / students who have failed thesis seminar II / whose submitted thesis was not allowed to the defences)
March 2018 (dates will be specified) - Thesis Seminar II
Shedule of the thesis seminars will be published in Moodle before the seminar.
At the thesis seminar II, student has to present the key elements and conclusions of the work (10-15 min.).
The committee gives an oral feedback to the student at the seminar.
Thesis seminar II is not completed if the committee find the thesis version not being in accordance to the requirements
The results of the thesis seminar I and II are valid for the same academic year only.
Submission of final Thesis
January 3, 2018 - registration of Thesis topic in OIS and submission of signed Thesis to the committee.
May 2018 (date will be specified) - registration of Thesis topic in OIS and submission of signed Thesis to the committee.
Registration of the final thesis in Study Information System
Bachelor - Log-in to ÕIS > Performances > Declaration of graduation thesis topic > Save.
Master - Log-in to ÕIS > Applications > Submission of application > Type of application > Defense of graduation thesis > Save.
The thesis title has to be correctly written down in OIS (in english and in estonian)
which will be in your diploma.
You should not use capital letters and copy-paste method.
The thesis must be submitted in three copies to the Law School (Archil Chochia, room SOC-328, at 17:00 at the latest)
- one hard-back printed copy
- one spiral-bound printed copy
- one electronic copy (in PDF format) submitted through moodle.
Printed versions of the thesis must include the supervisor's signature, the student's signature, as well as supervisor's opinion on a separate paper. The supervisor must not sign the thesis unless he or she is certain that it is of the required quality. The prerequisite for acceptance of the thesis is the successful completion of both Thesis Seminars.
Regarding to the Regulations of completion of studies at Tallinn University of Technology a student has to submit thesis with the following documents - non-exclusive Licence for Publication and Reproduction of Graduation Thesis (on paper, signed), metadata (submitted in both languages in Word format, through moodle) and summary (submitted through moodle) - summary is requiered only in case of closed defense and restricted access of the thesis, followed after respective decision made on the basis of reasoned defendant's application.
Accepting for Defence
The Defence Committee will decide which theses will be allowed to be defended, the list will be posted to this page 3 days (at the latest) before defences.
Student has to take new thesis topic, if previously his/her thesis topic has not been allowed to the defences two times.
Please note that serious breaches of academic honesty may result in exmatriculation from the university, therefore please be extra careful with use of sources, citations, etc.
January 17 - 26, 2018
June 2018 (dates will be specified)
June 2018 (dates will be specified)