TUT Virumaa College historical stages
In 1959 Consultation Office, where Mining Department of Tallinn Polytechnic Institute(TPI) operated several years, began its work in Kohtla-Järve. Aleksei Varkki, a teacher of Russian and Literature, was appointed as the Head of Consultation Office. In 1962 Ellen Pupp was in charge of Consultation Office.
TPI rector 1960 - 1976
In 1960 a new Rector Agu Aarna brought into being an idea of General Engineering Department establishment in Kohtla- Järve. Kaljo Schults, Associate Professor of Physics Sub-Faculty, was sent to Kohtla- Järve to put that idea into practice. A new building was designed by organization "Estonian Project".
Kohtla-Järve Department of General Engineering
project debate in 1963.
From the left: Vice-Rector for Research H.Lepikson,
Vice-Rector for Academic Affairs E.Schmidt,
Rector A.Aarna, Vice-Rector for Management H.Eesmaa
In 1969 Department of General Engineering began its work in a new building under the leadership of A.Varkki. 210 students were admitted to evening studies, as well as 278 students from Consultation Office were transferred to evening studies too. Studies began on the following specialities: Automation and Telemechanics; Electric Drive and Industrial Automation; Machine Building Technology, Metal-cutting Machines and Tools; Thermal Power Plants; Chemical Engineering; Economics and Organization of Mechanical Engineering; Production Planning and Accounting. Students of evening studies were taught in Kohtla-Järve for three years and then continued their studies by correspondence course in TPI in Tallinn. There were about 500 students in Department of General Engineering.
dean 1969 - 1979
Two Sub-Faculties were established in the Department: Marxism-Leninism (A.Varkki) and General Engineering (K.Schults).
In 1969 daytime studies were begun, where 25 students were admitted.Next year there were two groups, since 1982 both daytime and evening studies were conducted. Besides, it was possible to take paid preparatory courses, which were directed by E.Pupp for the whole period of operation.
dean 1979 - 1989
In 1971 two daytime specialities were taught: Undergorund Minining Technology and Economics & Organization of Integrated Mechanization and Mechanical Engineering. Studies for two first courses were carried out in Kohtla-Järve, then studies were continued in Tallinn. In 1978 two groups on Chemical Engineering were started, which were exchanged every other year: Clothing Production Technology, Weaving, Leather Products Technology, Natural and Chemical Fibres Spinning. After the 2nd year studies were continued in Kaunas Polytechnic Institute at the Faculty of Light Industry.
There were four specialities in evening studies in the middle of the 1980s: Electric Drive and Industrial Automation; Machine Building Technology, Metal-cutting Machines and Tools; Industrial and Civil Construction; Industrial Planning.
TPI anniversary 1986
Jõhvi Cultural Centre
In 1986 TPI 50th anniversary was celebrated (considering 1936 year as the year of creation, at present 1918 is considered as the year of beginning) .TPI administration, representatives of regional industries, students and alumni took part in that public ceremony. Over 900 of evening studies students and 800 of daytime studies students of Department of General Engineering graduated in Kohtla-Järve in 1970 – 1985. 450 young people completed preparatory courses.
In 1989 K.Schults renounced Dean's rights and Associate Professor H.Türkson was elected to that position.
On 01.06.1992 Department of General Engineering was liquidated and independent Virumaa Institution of Applied Higher Education was established. H.Türkson continued as the Rector. Specialties offered that time were: a teacher of Mathematics, Physics and Informatics in a basic school (Estonian and Russian groups); a teacher of Estonian language for Russian basic schools and groups of technical direction (1 Estonian and 2 Russian groups). The last were created according to the Agreement with TUT. Estonian students studied one year and Russian ones two years (one year they studied Estonian language) and continued their studies in TUT in Tallinn.
On 01.09.2000 Virumaa Institution of Higher Education was liquidated and TUT Virumaa College was established under the leadership of Ants Soon. Production Engineering and Industrial Entrepreneurship as well as Technical specialties were the main ones. Informatics curriculum was opened instead of Technical direction in 2001.
TUT VC Director 2000 - 2004
Director from 2005