TUT’s Laboratory of Fluid Mechanics
The main research fields of TUT’s Laboratory of Fluid Mechanics are associated with hydro mechanical processes in natural and artificial hydraulic systems.
Laboratories’ tasks include experimental and other lab services, development of new experimental methods and providing knowledge needed in research, development and learning activities. In recent years the lab has been renovated and equipment used in experimental studies has been upgraded and modernized to improve the overall quality of services.
TUT’s Laboratory of Fluid Mechanics can be found from the TUT’s main complex, study building U03, room U03 106-108.
- The durability of pipes, mountings and fittings to internal pressure according to standards ISO1167, 4427, 4437.
- Model tests of hydro technical structures (dams, embankments, overflows, culverts, etc).
- Analysis of water quality and other parameters in natural and laboratory conditions. Labs’ equipment enables to measure in rivers, creeks, catchment areas etc locally 3D velocity components; in addition temperature, air content, conductivity, pH, salinity, if necessary, ammonium, nitrate, and chloride concentration in water.
- Hydrodynamic processes in case of pipe emptying and filling.
- Flow measurements in open channels (storm water, sewer systems etc)
- Local rainfall measurements.
- Visualization of flow structures.
- One and two dimensional flows in wind channels, aerodynamic processes.
- Determine particle size (0,01-3500 µm).