The Strategic Plan of the TalTech Student Union (hereinafter SU) has been prepared until 2015. This includes the most important policies to be implemented by the representative body of the Student Body. These policies form the basis for various sectoral strategic plans, policies for supporting the activities, organisational structure and source documents.
The Student Body of TalTech University (hereinafter Student Body) is an institution which exercises the right of the TalTech students (hereinafter students) to self-government – to decide on and manage independently, pursuant to law and legislation issued on the basis thereof, issues of student life based on the interests, needs, rights and obligations of students.
MISSION OF THE STUDENT UNION
The mission of Student Union (SU) is to represent the interests of TalTech students and to increase their feeling of solidarity.
STUDENT UNION MODEL FOR ACHIEVING THE GOALS
SU is a guardianship authority of students. Once a year the students elect the representative body of the Student Body - the Student Council, the work of which is supported by the committees operating at the Student Council. For daily management of the organisation, the Student Council re-elects fifty per cent of the members of the Board of the Student Body. The Board appoints staff for the implementation of the actions, the support activities shall be managed by the Manager. The accuracy and correctness of the activities of the Board, staff and the elected student representatives shall be monitored by the audit committee.
Each student can run as a candidate for the abovementioned bodies and join a project of interest or the student council (SC) of its faculty as a volunteer at any time.
The opinions and policies of SU and SC shall be formed on the basis of regular monitoring conducted among students.
PRINCIPLES OF ACTION OF THE STUDENT UNION
In order to create an integrated and pleasant internal and external environment, the members of the Student Union and staff and the students actively involved in SU work shall adhere to the following principles:
- Professionalism – the representatives of SU act in a targeted and careful manner in adherence to the agreed values and principles.
- Solidarity– the activities of SU are targeted at the Student Body taking into account the specificities of the target group. SU shall be tolerant to each TalTech student and student organisation.
- Independence – SU is impartial in its decisions and independent of any external influences. Decisions are made based on the interests of all parties. A decision is made or an opinion is formed in order to serve the interests of the Student Body to a maximum.
- Democracy – the Student Council is formed by democratic elections.
- Openness – the activities of SU are transparent; all the TalTech students can join SU. The organisation is open to new ideas and thoughts.
- Reliability – SU keeps the promises made and is a reliable and loyal partner.
- Sustainability – it is made sure that the required knowledge, skills and work culture are passed on to the new members of the organisation. Sustainability is one of the most important aspects in creating systems. The activities are documented.