Summary of the project and its work packages
Project title: Development of Innovative Business Models for Ensuring Competitiveness
Project acronym: INNOREG
Project duration: 06 / 2010 – 05 / 2013
The total budget of the project and the amount of ERDF co-financing granted:
- Total Project Budget 2 987 306€
- ERDF funding 2 494 395€
- National co-financing 492 911€
Geographical location of the project:
- Southern Finland - Estonia Sub-programme
Finland and Estonia have long-term mutually beneficial experiences in science&production in mechanical engineering and mechatronics.This industry forms dominant part of the structure of manufacturing industry and export in the region.
Globalization and continual growth of competition takes place in the world,necessitating implementation of new business models and production structures (Manufuture Roadmap).
The project concentrates on raising the region’s scientific-technical potential, competence and reputation as well as to help raising competitiveness of the field and its companies in the region via elaboration and implementation of new business models and development of cross-border collaboration.
Since 2007 activities related to the project have been developed by partner organizations (Tallinn Innovation Centre business plan;Tallinn Innovation Centre memorandum between Estonian Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communication, Association of Mechatronics and Tallinn Technology Park)
Project consists of 4 integrated WPs of which WP1 deals with project management,generalizing the project’s results and assuring sustainability.WP2-4 constitute main core of the project being integrated with each other and creating new cross-border concept of technology platform that promotes the region and its reputation. Linkages between new innovative business structures create prerequisites for more intense development of high-tech production and increasing competitiveness of the region and companies.Issues for broadening the results of the project in international level are also dealt with in WP2-4.
Main objective of the project is to increase innovation,quality awareness and competitiveness, offer support to the companies in the region in the field of mechanical engineering and mechatroncis by creating new approach and model that through new business structures enables to react flexibly to the processes taking place in the society and organize innovative and high-level production.
Activities & results
- Survey of new business models of competitive sustainable development-basic model of region of knowledge
- Survey of region’s capability and competitiveness in the field-navigator of innovative development of the region, report about the field’s situation and trends
- Creation of technology platform uniting innovation centres, companies and scientific institutions in the region-functioning structure of technology platform, cross-border use of it,Tallinn Innovation Centre, collaboration between involved parties
- Determination of quality functions ensuring high promotion of quality attitude and quality assurance in production activities-created and functioning measurement and control centre in Turku and collaboration between measurement centres, scientific institutions and companies in the region
- Integration of innovation and control centres in the region, development of cross-border collaboration-sustainability of the project results, support to companies, collaboration
INNOREG project provided a modern production equipment through Tehnopolis at the Mechatronics Center of Innovation and expects companies to develop innovative products. It is also an open innovation center offering facilities for the implementation of the modern technology in partnership.
The novel Flexible Manufacturing System - FMS - is an automated production system, which consists of two 5-7-coordinate machine tools, which are connected to the automated transportation and warehouse system. This complex is able to operate for 24 hours continuously and automatically being able to provide an extremely high quality requirements.
Mechatronics Innovation Centre provides the device support for companies in manufacturing automation, integrated environment and development of new technologies.
The company will benefit from their specific problem solving, further generalization and development will benefit the entire industry. In addition to communicating such solutions through international conferences, scientific articles and top specialists this creates to Estonia a hi-tech-oriented image.
In the Estonia corresponding analog is missing. Possession of an industrial complex is the only possible solution for making complex products such as for the aerospace and aviation industry. The new technology helps to raise awareness about the engineering industry also on an international scale.
FMS unit is managed by the NGO Association for Mechatronics. Device is supplied by Fastems. Businesses can use the FMS unit pricing basis or by joining MECA partners. Cooperation start see also: www.meca.ee
Equipment acquisitions were funded by the Central Baltic INTERREG IV A Programme 2007-2013.
Disclaimer: The material on this website reflects the authors views. The Central Baltic INTERREG IV A Programme 2007-2013 Managing Authority cannot be held liable for the information published by the project partners.