Summer School on English Language and Nordic Culture (4 ECTS)
Students whose level of English is equivalent to B1 / B2
Aims of the course
The aim of this course is to improve the participants' English language skills at B1/ B2 level by learning about the history and culture of the Nordic countries. Lessons are designed to be interactive and include open-air lectures and visits to cultural sights (visiting historical Kadriorg and art museums, Rocca al Mare Open Air Museum, learning about Tallinn Old Town and many more).
- The students can understand various kinds of reading and listening materials at level B1/B2 and can, in most cases, guess the meaning of unfamiliar words from the context.
- The students can understand conversations and talks in English.
- The students can express their opinions and participate in conversations and discussions.
- The students have basic knowledge of the histories, cultures and languages of the Nordic countries.
- The students have basic knowledge of European business culture and conventions.
Development of reading, listening and speaking skills. Vocabulary development. Introduction to the Estonian, Finnish and Swedish languages. Introduction to the geography, history and culture of the Nordic countries. Introduction to European business culture.
Hele Saar, MA in English Language and Literature
Hele has taught various English language courses at TalTech since 1991, including English for Academic Purposes, English for Science and Research, English for Specific Purposes, Business English and Giving Presentations in English. She is the leading lecturer in the English language studies of the Prep-Year programme and Summer School of the English Language and Nordic Cultures. In 2014 she was nominated the title of the Lecturer of the Year of TTÜ.
Hele is a member of the Communications Skills Workshop committee.