Technology of Wood and Plastic
Degree awarded: Master of Science in Engineering (MSc)
Workload: 120 ECTS
Language of instruction: English
Duration: 2 years
Pre-Requisites: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in natural sciences or technical fields
Tuition fees and scholarships: 1 ECTS = 55 EUR. Nominal study load per 1 year = 60 ECTS/€3300, 9 tuition fee waiver scholarships available that guarantee free studies. Detailed information about the scholarship is available here
The Technology of Wood and Plastic international degree programme provides specialisation either in woodwork or plastic technology. Teaching is organised into modules combining lectures, seminars and laboratory work in the recently renovated laboratory of Polymer Physics and Technology, which is equipped with state-of-the-art devices. The programme also emphasises the basic practical knowledge of CAD-engineering programmes and CAM-manufacturing technologies as they are extremely important in every industrial sector all over the world. The curriculum gives students the unique opportunity to implement their individual research projects in collaboration with various companies.
- All courses are taught by using blended learning solutions (face-to-face + e-learning) which makes the learning process more flexible
- Students have the opportunity to visit different wood-, plastic, and furniture products manufacturing companies, so they are getting familiar with production
- Three hands-on scientific research or industrial projects develop students’ skills and provide a smooth transition from university studies to a professional career
This Master programme gives for students` vocational and professional preparation for working in the international engineering industry as a designer/constructor, specialist, industrial engineer or middle manager. This curriculum gives valuable knowledge and the practical experience necessary to work with customised furniture projects (hotels, restaurants, public sector buildings, cruise ships) or material selection and technology development for plastic products manufacturing. Skills in CAD/CAM engineering work in connection with knowledge about the technological properties of wood-, laminates, plywood, chipboard, medium density fibreboard, plastics, metals, leather, textiles and composite materials that might come in handy for different professions.
Please pay attention as this programme you are applying for, has specific prerequisites:
- Bachelor’s degree of equivalent in natural sciences or technical fields
- Motivation letter (0-60 points)
- Online interview (0-20 points)
- Test during interview (0-20 points)
For each programme you apply to, an individual motivation letter (statement of purpose) must be inserted.
Please include following:
- interest of specialisation (wood or plastic), highlight why you would like to attend the chosen programme;
- previous working and studying experiences;
- ideas for master's thesis, your future academic and career goals;
- knowledge about curriculum.
PS! It is important to properly cite any sources (quotations, publications, ideas which are not your own etc.) used in your motivation letter, because to do otherwise would be plagiarism and result in disqualification.
Online interview and test
During online interview a candidate must also complete a short test. The whole interview taked approximately 30 minutes.
Aspects evaluated during the interview:
- How do you plan to finance your stay/study in Estonia?
- Have you been studying or working abroad of your home country? Work experience.
- What is your motivation to study wood or plastics?
- Future plans? Do you plan to continue in science or industry?
- What do you know about our program?
- Have you studied CAD/CAM Technologies?
- Language evaluation based on communication.
Threshold 50 points - applicants receiving at least 50 points get admission to TTÜ.
For general admission requirements please visit the Admissions section.
The yearly fee for a typical student is calculated based on 60 ECTS per year (full study load). The following is an estimation based on 2018/2019 fees:
- 1 ECTS is 55 EUR
- first study year is 3300 EUR
A tuition fee waiver is a non-monetary scholarship granted automatically to the best ranked candidates, according to the points earned in the course of admission. There is no separate application required. Decisions are made based on the Dreamapply application. Scholarship is awarded for the whole study period. Recipients of the scholarships are required to study full-time, i.e. with the workload of at least 60 ECTS per year. If the student starts studying part-time, he/she will lose the tuition fee waiver and will start paying for studies.
Please check here for scholarship options.
"Specialising in wood technology can lead to work in many careers like design, project management, laboratories, production or even entrepreneurial. Introducing artistic multifunctional furniture to the market-place is just one example of an appealing professional job in this industry. These are the challenges that led to the development of the U-CAT robot in Tallinn Tech. This region has a long history of wood innovation and the Nordic model is noticeable in the lifestyle and education system as well."
Alaa AlBarazi, Syria
Student of Technology of Wood and Plastic
"Regarding the forest resource in Estonia, we are among the five richest countries in Europe. Extensive forest, which covers 51% of Estonian landscape, has resulted in perfect conditions for high-tech timber and timber products industry. 25% of Estonian export sales are made up of wood, timber, wood-based products, furniture and plastic products, and that is why our department has a strong connection with the industry. Therefore, our professors not only teach, but also have practical experience thanks to their continuous cooperation with companies."
Professor of Woodworking
Head of the M.Eng.Programme